All You Need To Know Going Into Trade On Jan. 3
Stocks in the news, big brokerage calls of the day, complete trade setup and much more!
Stocks in Asia were primed for gains on Friday after a strong start to the year lifted U.S. equities to fresh all-time highs.Futures indicated gains for equities in Hong Kong and shares opened higher in Australia. The Singapore-traded SGX Nifty, an early indicator of NSE Nifty 50 Index’s performance in India, rose 0.3 percent to 12,374 as of 6:58 a.m.Short on time? Well, then listen to this podcast for a quick summary of All You Need...
Stocks in Asia were primed for gains on Friday after a strong start to the year lifted U.S. equities to fresh all-time highs.
Futures indicated gains for equities in Hong Kong and shares opened higher in Australia. The Singapore-traded SGX Nifty, an early indicator of NSE Nifty 50 Index’s performance in India, rose 0.3 percent to 12,374 as of 6:58 a.m.
Short on time? Well, then listen to this podcast for a quick summary of All You Need To Know before the opening bell.
Here’s a quick look at all that could influence equities today.
- The S&P 500 jumped 0.8 percent to a record on the year’s first trading day, with megacaps Apple, Alphabet and Nike notching all-time highs. It was among the best starts for U.S. stocks in the past decade.
- Oil spiked as tensions in the Middle East flared after a U.S. strike near Baghdad international airport killed a top Iranian general.
- The Stoxx Europe 600 Index advanced as every sector finished in the green.
Get your daily fix of global markets here.
Stocks To Watch
- HDFC said it has recorded a fair value gain of Rs 9,020 crore from Gruh-Bandhan merger.
- Hero MotoCorp December sales fell 6 percent year-on-year to 4,24,845 units. (BloombergQuint estimate: 4,31,250 units).
- JSW Energy said the company entered into an agreement with Jaiprakash Power Ventures Ltd. to restructure the principal outstanding amount of Rs.751.77 crore, owed by JPVL to the company.
- NMDC set lump order price at Rs 2,800 per tonne; Fines at Rs 2,560 per tonne.
- ONGC won seven blocks offered under fourth auction round, according to a Bloomberg report.
- GAIL: The company said no amount is payable to Indian government under internet license, according to a Bloomberg report.
- Rites JV secured Rs 100 crore order from Government of Bangladesh.
- Natco Pharma filed an application for a generic version of cancer drug Lonsurf. Lonsurf has recorded sales of $150 million in 2018 in U.S. as per IQVA.
- Peninsula Land said a delay in government rent payout has affected loan repayment. It clarified that there was no default in payment of any financial obligation by the company.
- Kirloskar Electric said the pact with SSEL has been put on hold indefinitely.
- FDC received GMP certificate from U.K. Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency for Goa unit.
- Krebs Biochemicals & Industries will issue up to 13.70 lakh equity shares top promoter group IPCA Laboratories at a price of Rs 86 per share. Additionally, the company will also issue 35.60 lakh convertible warrants of Rs 86 each to promoters IPCA laboratories.
- Vipul Organics received Maharashtra Pollution Control Board approval to commence operations at its new plant in Tarapur.
Goldman Sachs on Oil Companies
- ONGC: Upgraded to ‘Buy’ from ‘Neutral’; cut price target to Rs 175 from Rs 220
- Oil India: Upgraded to ‘Buy’ from ‘Neutral’; hiked price target to Rs 205 from Rs 255
- Upstream companies share price pricing Brent at $45 per barrel.
- Positives:- improving volume trends, subsidy inching zero and improvement in sentiment
Citi on NMDC
- Maintained ‘Buy’ with a price target of Rs 125.
- First price hike since May 2019; lack of competition to prevent fall in pricing.
- Expiry of Odisha mining lease may not be disruptive for domestic ore supply.
Macquarie on Marico
- Maintained ‘Outperform’ with a price target of Rs 430.
- India business posted marginal decline in volume.
- Expect high single digit revenue growth in Q3 from international business.
- Margin expansion to remain on track due to benign input cost.
Morgan Stanley on JSPL
- Maintained ‘Overweight’ with a price target of Rs 174.
- Strong volume growth for standalone business as well as Oman business unit in the third quarter.
- Start of the DRI plant at Angul in January, to drive upside risk to estimates.
Who’s Meeting Whom
- KEC International to meet IIFL Securities on Jan. 3.
- Aarti Industries promoters sold 25,200 shares on Dec. 31.
- Filatex India promoters acquired 5.50 lakh shares on Dec. 31.
- Tourism Finance Corp of India promoter Redkite Capital Private Limited sold 24,91,000 shares on Dec. 31.
- Swelect Energy Systems promoter R.Chellappan acquired 18,943 shares from Dec. 13 to Dec. 30.
- Action Construction Equipment promoter Vijay Agarwal acquired 23,562 shares from Dec. 27 to Dec. 31.
- Precision camshafts promoters acquired 20,000 shares on Dec. 30.
- S Chand & Co promoter Himanshu Gupta acquired 5,000 shares from Dec. 30 to Dec. 31.
Money Market Update
- The rupee closed at 71.38/$ versus 71.23/$ on Wednesday.
- Nifty January futures closed at 12,339.3, premium of 57 points versus 61.3 points.
- Nifty January futures open interest up 3.6 percent, adds 4.3 lakh shares in open interest.
- Nifty Bank January futures closed at 32,579, premium of 135 points versus 182 points.
- Nifty Bank January futures open interest down 0.6 percent, sheds 73,000 shares in open interest.
- Nifty PCR at 1.46 versus 1.14 (across all series)
Nifty Weekly Expiry: Jan. 9
- Max open interest on call side at 12,300 (19.1 lakh shares).
- Max open interest on put side at 12,200 (19.2 lakh shares).
- Open interest addition seen at 12,200P (+13.4 lakh shares), 12,300C (+11.1 lakh shares), 12,250P (+8.9 lakh shares).
Nifty Monthly Expiry: Jan. 30
- Max open interest on call side at 12,500 (22.6 lakh shares).
- Max open interest on put side at 12,000 (38.6 lakh shares).
How To Sign Up For BloombergQuint Story Notifications
Get live Stock market updates, Business news, Today’s latest news, Trending stories, and Videos on BQ Prime. Subscribe to get full access to Exclusives.