India Lists 6,835 Projects Under Rs 111 Lakh Crore National Infrastructure Pipeline
The government has identified and listed 6,835 projects under its Rs 111 crore National Infrastructure Pipeline, an effort to attract investments in infrastructure development.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, on Monday Aug. 10, launched an information repository of all projects identified under the National Infrastructure Pipeline. Investors can use the ‘India Investment Grid’ to access information on infrastructure projects, and form public private partnerships with the government. The portal -- recommended by the task force formed to prepare an infrastructure spending road map for the government -- will also monitor development of these projects.
According to the India Investment Grid portal, 3,678 projects worth Rs 59.25 lakh crore have been listed for investments -- they include Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana Project, Pune Airport Development Project among others.
The National Infrastructure Pipeline aims to invest Rs 111 lakh crore by 2025 in a range of projects spanning across sectors such as energy, social and commercial infrastructure, communication, water and sanitation, according to the investment portal. The share of the central government and the states in the projects would be 39% and 40%, respectively, while private sector would contribute 21%.
The NIP was announced in the Union Budget, and is aimed at helping India become a $5 trillion economy by 2025. With India’s growth seen contracting for the first time in decades due to the fallout of the Covid-19 pandemic, infrastructure development is expected to cushion the blow on the economy by boosting investments, creating a multiplier effect, and adding jobs.
Other projects identified are:
- 1,342 water and sanitation projects worth Rs 21.51 lakh crore that also includes Jal Jeevan Mission Implementation Project.
- 710 social infrastructure projects worth Rs 13.96 lakh crore, including Mumbai City Affordable Housing Construction Project.
- 617 commercial infrastructure projects worth Rs 5.77 lakh crore that includes Andhra Pradesh Industrial Housing Development Project, among others.
- 295 energy projects worth Rs 28.56 lakh crore that include solar, wind, and power development projects.
- 154 logistics projects worth Rs 2.74 lakh crore that include city gas distribution project of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd..
- 39 communication projects worth Rs 97,997 crore including 4G development project of BSNL Ltd.
“NIP will provide a boost to the vision of an Aatmanirbhar Bharat,” Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman was quoted as saying in a statement on launch of the portal.
The availability of project details on the portal will ensure easy access to updated project information and attract investors to PPP projects, Sitharaman said.