Dharavi’s Coronavirus Tally Reaches 49, Death Toll At Five
Dharavi recorded four new coronavirus cases, including one death, on Monday as the highly contagious pathogen spreads rapidly in the crowded lanes of Mumbai’s biggest slum.
A 60-year-old man, who lived in Nehru Chawl, succumbed to the deadly virus at Sion hospital, said Kiran Dighavkar, assistant commissioner in charge of the G/North Ward in Central Mumbai. That’s the fifth death linked to the pandemic in Dharavi since April 1.
In other cases, a 60-year-old male resident of Indira Nagar Chawl tested positive. Two women of age 34 years and 50 years living in Gulmohar Chawl and Janata Society, respectively, too, tested positive, said Dighavkar. “The investigation for finding high-risk contacts is under progress.”
Two more cases of COVID-19 were recorded in the evening, added Dighavakar. “A 51 year old male from Murugan Chawl and 21 year old male from Kalyanwadi tested positive for the virus. The investigation for finding high-risk contacts is under progress.”
Dharavi—a sprawl of shanties spread over 240 hectares, with a population of 8.5 lakh and over 13,000 small businesses—has so far recorded 49 Covid-19 cases, including five deaths.
Total Cases In Dharavi So Far: 49
- Dr. Baliga Nagar: Five — A 30-year-old woman, her father and brother are undergoing treatment. Another 55-year-old man tested positive on Thursday. The area has recorded two deaths.
- Dharavi Main Road: Two — A 35-year-old doctor and his 29-year-old wife are undergoing treatment.
- Mukund Nagar Slum: Nine — A 49-year-old man and his 25-year-old son are undergoing treatment. A 58-year-old and a 30-year-old men tested positive on Thursday. Five more tested positive on Friday evening.
- 60 Feet Road: Two — A 21-year-old male lab technician is under treatment and one case of a high-risk contact recorded on Sunday.
- Dhanwada Chawl: One — A 35-year-old man tested positive and is under treatment.
- Muslim Nagar: Five — A 50-year-old female, who was tested positive for the virus earlier, is under treatment. A 27-year-old male tested positive on Sunday. Three new high-risk contacts of the previous case recorded on Sunday.
- Social Nagar: Six — A 64-year-old man, who was tested positive, died at KEM Hospital. Five risk-contacts of the deceased tested positive.
- Janta Society: Five — A couple (59-year-old male and 49-year-old female) is undergoing treatment. Two new cases recorded on Sunday. One more positive case recorded on Monday.
Kalyanwadi: Three — A 70-year-old woman died at KEM Hospital and a 31-year-old female tested positive on Sunday. A 21 year old male tested positive today.
- PMGP Colony: One — A male patient is tested positive on Sunday and is undergoing treatment.
- Murugan Chawl: Two — A 51-year-old male tested positive on Sunday. Another 51-year-old male tested positive on Monday.
- Rajiv Gandhi Nagar Chawl: One — A 26-year-old male tested positive.
- Shastri Nagar Slum: Four: Four new cases recorded on Sunday.
- Nehru Chawl: One — A 60-year-old male died at Sion Hospital.
- Indira Chawl: One — A 60-year-old man tested positive.
- Gulmohar Chawl: One — A 34-year-old female tested positive.
As on Monday, BMC has screened 13,224 people in Dharavi for symptoms of Covid-19. Of that, 113 people were referred for testing while swab samples of 85 were taken, said Dighavkar. The survey was started on Saturday.
According to Maharashtra health ministry’s latest media bulletin on Sunday, 221 new coronavirus cases were reported in the state, taking the total tally to 1,982. Total number of cases in Mumbai stands at 1,298.