Dharavi Records Six More Covid-19 Cases, Total Count Now At 13
Mumbai’s biggest slum, which recorded its first case of Covid-19 last week, now has a tally of 13, including two deaths, as the highly contagious pathogen spreads rapidly across the country.
Dharavi added six more coronavirus cases on Wednesday. A 25-year-old male from the Mukund Nagar Slum tested positive for Covid-19, said Kiran Dighavkar, assistant commissioner in-charge of the G/North Ward in Central Mumbai. “He is the son of a 49-year-old man who had tested positive on Saturday.”
The second case is a 35-year-old man who resides in Dhanwada Chawl of Dharavi. Contact tracing is in the progress, Dighavkar said.
Third, a 50-year-old woman has tested positive for the virus. The patient works for KEM Hospital as MICU cleaning staff and is a resident of Muslim Nagar in Dharavi, Dighavkar said. “There are five high risks contacts who will be shifted to Rajiv Gandhi Sports Complex.”
Fourth, a 64 year old male patient from Social Nagar in Dharavi passed away today at the KEM hospital. “The patient had tested positive for the virus today,” added Dighavkar.
This is the second death in Dharavi after a 56-year-old man died last week.
At Janata Society in Dharavi, a couple (49-year-old female and 59-year-old male) tested positive, Dighavkar said. “The process of tracing high risk contacts is under progress.”
Dharavi, a sprawl of shanties spread over 240 hectares, has a population of 8.5 lakh and over 13,000 small businesses. The first person that tested positive for the virus in the area died last week.
“3,250 people are under home quarantine as of now, and this number is set to go up today,” said Dighavkar.
Total Cases In Dharavi So Far: 13
- Dr Baliga Nagar: Four—A 30-year-old woman, her father and brother, who are now undergoing treatment. The area has recorded one death.
- Dharavi Main Road: One—A 35-year-old doctor is undergoing treatment.
- Mukund Nagar Slum: Two—A 49-year-old man and his 25-year-old son are undergoing treatment.
- 60 Feet Road: One—A 21-year-old male lab technician is under treatment.
- Dhanwada Chawl: One—A 35-year-old male tested positive and under treatment.
- Muslim Nagar: One—A 50-year-old female tested positive and is under treatment.
- Social Nagar: A 64-year-old male patient declared dead by KEM Hospital.
- Janta Society: Two—A couple (59-year-old male and 49-year-old female) undergoing treatment.
Besides, a municipal sweeper, who is a resident of Worli and works in Dharavi, has tested positive and is undergoing treatment.
According to the Maharashtra health ministry’s latest bulletin, the state added 117 new cases of Covid-19 on Wednesday, taking the tally to 1,135. Total number of cases in Mumbai stands at 714.