Coronavirus India Updates: 1.2 Lakh New Infections Take Active Cases Above 9 Lakh
India continued to report a record surge in Covid-19 infections prompting the government to expand its inoculation drive to include workplaces.
More than 1.2 lakh people tested positive for the coronavirus in the last 24 hours, according to the Health Ministry’s update as of 8:00 a.m. on April 8. The ministry also reported 59,000 recoveries and 630 deaths in the same period.
Active cases crossed 9 lakh for the first time since October last year.
- Total number of confirmed cases: 1,29,28,574
- Active cases: 9,10,319
- Total cured/discharged/migrated: 1,18,51,393
- Total deaths: 1,66,862
- New infections in 24 hours: 1,26,789
- Recoveries in a day: 59,258
- Deaths in a single day: 685
- Total vaccination shots administered: 9,01,98,673
The government will allow vaccines to be administered at private and public workplaces that have more than 100 eligible beneficiaries, starting April 11. Vaccination will still be limited to those above 45 years of age, according to guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Meanwhile, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation announced some exemptions to the night curfew and weekend lockdown.
- All online home deliveries will be allowed round-the-clock on all days of the week.
- Road side food stalls will be allowed to provide parcel and take away services during the weekend.
- Candidates that have to attend various exams will be allowed to travel on weekends if they show a valid hall ticket. They can be accompanied by one guardian.
- Movement of maids, cooks, drivers and other house help has also been allowed between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. on all days.