Coronavirus India Updates: Total Cases Rise To 8,447; Death Toll At 273
Track latest news updates and developments on how the coronavirus situation is evolving in India here...
- Oldest First
The new coronavirus pandemic has now infected more than 8,000 people in India even as the nation went into the world’s biggest lockdown to combat spreading of the highly contagious pathogen.
India added 918 fresh cases of Covid-19 in the last 24 hours, taking the total tally to 8,447 in Asia’s third-largest economy, according to the health ministry’s update as of 5 p.m. on April 12. This includes 273 deaths and 765 people who have recovered.
Several chief ministers recommended a two-week extension of the lockdown at their meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday. While the central government’s statement says nothing about extending the nationwide shutdown that’s set to end next week on April 14, five states—Odisha, Punjab, Maharashtra, West Bengal and Telangana—extended it in their regions, either across the state or in a graded fashion.
Globally, coronavirus cases exceeded 1.77 million, while deaths top 108,000. The U.S. became the world’s epicenter for the novel virus as deaths passed Italy. The pace of deaths slowed in Spain, France and Germany, though Italy reported the most new cases in a week. China reported 99 new cases from Saturday, 97 of which were imported.
Track latest news updates and developments on how the coronavirus situation is evolving in India here:
'Operation Shield' In Delhi
“The number of cases are increasing and I’m also worried about it,” said Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. “But confident that the number of cases will be contained.”
- Wherever we are finding cases in Delhi, we are declaring them as containment zones, and have launched “operation shield”.
- 34-35 areas are now part of containment zones. More such places are being identified and containment is being done at large scale.
- We will provide doorstep services to all containment zones.
- Containment zones are red zones and massive sanitisation drive is being carried out. All the high-risk areas are orange zones and there will be sanitisation drive as well.
- We are learning and adapting from experiences of other countries as well.
Maharshtra Reports 134 New Coronavirus Cases
Maharshtra reported 134 new coronavirus cases on April 12, taking the total tally in the state rise to 1,895.
Of the 134 fresh cases...
- Mumbai reported 113 cases
- Raigad, Amravati, Bhiwandi, Pimpri-Chinchwad one case each
- Pune four cases
- Mira Bhayandar seven cases
- Navi Mumbai, Thane and Vasai Virar two cases each.
Source: ANI tweeted citing State Health Department
Total Cases In India Rise To 8,447
- Active cases: 7,409
- Cured/discharged/migrated: 765
- Deaths: 273
Source: Health Ministry (As of April 12, 5 p.m.)
As far as lockdown is concerned, social distancing is key, according to Lav Agarwal. Even if there is no lockdown tomorrow, everyone needs to focus on social distancing as part of behavioural change.
“Not everything is known about this particular virus and different kind of facts keep coming to us on a continuous basis,” Agarwal said. “Some resurgence have been noticed in China, Japan and Korea in coronavirus cases. This is also a cause of worry to us as well. We need to ensure our containment and social distancing measures are there.”
Deadline Extended For Deposits In Small Savings Schemes
The finance ministry has extended the deadline for mandatory minimum deposit in public provided fund and Sukanya Samriddhi account for FY20 by three months up to June, according to PIB’s Dhatwalia.